Saturday, February 11, 2012

Righteous Recipes: Split Pea with bacon

Now that Tasty's is open, Justin has taken the day shift for him self and  is home every night for dinner for the first time in our marriage. So, I've never had to do a real dinner time until now. It took about two weeks to really get it in my head that "yes" he would be home every night and that I needed to start cooking! Thank god for Family Circle , it has gotten me threw quite a few dinner times in the last few weeks. Their recipes all have pretty easy to find, affordable ingredients and so far no real complaints from my master chef husband on any of the ones I've tried. A few Sundays ago I tried their split pea with bacon recipe and it was a hit. Justin being the southern boy he is, grew up with split pea soup, and now it's one of the comfort foods he's known to make on cold days. I on the other hand did not.  So when I saw this recipe in the February Family Circle, I decided to try it out. The recipe is as follows:   

Ingredients
  • 6 slices bacon, diced
  • 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
  • 3 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 2 ribs celery, trimmed and diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1 pound bag green split peas
  • 1 32 ounce box vegetable broth
  • 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

1. Cook bacon over medium heat in a large pot for 8 minutes. Remove half with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic to pot. Continue to cook 5 minutes.
2. Stir in split peas, broth, 2 cups water and rosemary. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and cook 40 minutes or until peas are soft. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Ladle soup into bowls; top each with a little of the reserved bacon bits.

When I made it, I used 10 slices of bacon, because who doesn't like more bacon and I served it with corn muffins. If you decide to try it out, let me know how you liked it. Oh, and no I've got no affiliation with family circle, I'm just a fan. Thought I'd let you know now since I've got a few more righteous recipes coming up out of family circle, but they won't always be ; )   

No comments:

Post a Comment