Saturday, June 9, 2012

And the Rain, Rain, Rain Came Down, Down Down............

 So, it feels about like we're all going to float away lately. Beryl was just the tip of the iceberg for us down here in the south east. The rain just seems to keep coming. It's not to terrible though, here at my little coupe. Our home is off-grade, so I've had no real worries of flooding in the house. The yard is another story but, my plants seem to be happy at the moment. The mosquitoes are horrendous, lots of standing water for the buggers to breed.  My poor bear of a baby chick is all spotted red!  So, it's a given that we've been left to the nest and are finding things to occupy our time inside.  Bear has taken to his crayons and pooh videos when I'm working and puzzles and tinker toys when mom can give her full attention. He loves when I make him airplanes.............
 Our days are still filled with bursts of singing and dancing and the happy banter of mother and toddler, and despite the rain our easy rhythm continues. I will say that the lack of outside time has coincided with a lack of nap time though, and that can be a bit of a stick in the sprockets for life with a 2 year old. I'll happily admit my child is not perfect and evening fits have become regular with the rain. Grumpy bears are always a terror to deal with. Luckily my Roo is home by this time of day and helps this poor peach of a mother hen gain control of the little grizzly.  
 Amongst all the this and that Hen works on during her day for Peach Vintage, I convinced her we had to take a day for our self  after the bear of a baby chick got a terrible stain on my beloved orange velvet wing back chair. She agreed and we took a time out to make this peachy keen slip cover for the cushion in the hopes of protecting it from further damage by small child.     
 I used an Orla Kiely-ish print I had gotten from my girl Jess a while back and a Martha Stewart wood grain fabric I had from Sara's shop along with some homemade apple green pipping. Hen and I agree it is rather well done and the coupe is sunnier for the work.
 Speaking of Jess! She came for a visit earlier this week and brought us a nice little pile of busy work. She had put in a call for her friends to "help a sister out!" with a neat little list of what she needed help with. I picked Hem Curtains. She is one that despite her short comings ALWAYS helps her friends and neighbors, in fact she makes it her life's work to help new moms. She even started our local chapter of the La Leche League.  Anyway my point is despite all the work hen has piling up on us it was an easy decision to help our friend in her hour of need.  It was a nice excuse for a visit, too. Our baby chicks played all afternoon while we drank some wine and talked about life since last we saw each other. I'm excited to get them finished for her because that means a second visit is soon to come and it's always nice to have something to look forward to.  
On a side note:  If anyone's interested in my  method for hemming curtains let me know and I'll try to get a tutorial together while I finish this job up, I have about 10 left to hem. Jess's curtains are made from re-purposed painters cloth but this would work with any fabric. It would be an easy beginner level project.  Just leave a comment below and we'll see how much interest there is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment