Monday, January 6, 2014

Happy New Year's and the obligatory return to blogging

  While I'm not necessarily going to call this a resolution, but I do feel the need to start a better documenting of my projects and what-not in 2014.  My biggest dilemma with writing this journal has always been worrying that I might sound stupid or that why should I bother if no one reads it anyway. With that said, I have decided that no one ever has to read this but me, this record is for me to remember what ever it is that I want to remember and if you lovely mysterious reader out there decide it's worth reading and following along well that would be just peachy too:)
      So, you may be asking what I was doing in 2013? and the best answer I have is learning. Learning to piece better, learning different ways to quilt, the very end of the year even brought me to learning to make my own clothes! Now, those that know me personally maybe saying "but Heather, I thought you already knew how to sew? Hell, you have a business based on you being able to sew!" Well, yes I already knew how to sew, but I mostly taught my self and I personally felt to need to take the time to learn from others this year, learn different and/or better ways to get the desired results from my work.  It was a lot of fun, I learned quit a lot, and I think I'm a better seamstress and quilter than I was a year ago.
  In 2013, I discovered paper piecing and how much I freaking love that particular technique. I gained a better understanding of free motion quilting, though my skills still leave me with something to be desired, but I've been assured it all comes with practice. I participated is a swap and a few BOM's and made a few online sewing friends. I made a lot of gifts for the ladies in my family, and I still did Peach Vintage  (though admittedly less ready to ship, lots of custom and commission orders though! thanks for that loveys :)   
   In 2014, I plan to put what I learned to use, I've got a head and a few sketchbooks full of ideas that need to be put to fabric. I've got piles of Peach Vintage WIP's to finish up and get into my etsy shop. I'll be doing Quiet Plays Sew Kitchy BOM ( I participated in her and sew on BOM last year and fell head over heals in love with paper piecing, I highly recommend her Patterns to anyone looking to learn how) and I'm looking forward to catching up on my doctor who-a-long blocks with trillium and soma after having to set them aside due to a very busy holiday season. I'm also very excited to participate in my first ever quilting bee as a member of Stash Bee hive 8.
   More Clothing is also in the works with plans for a Bess top(dress cause that's how i role), Riding peplum,  and  Lark maxi cardi along with another Meridian cardi, Ruby dress, and my favorite new basic the Wiksten dress (I've made 2 already!). I'm eager to explore this little adventurer of mine. My grey and teal ruby was my first ever piece of adult clothing EVER, I love it, have worn it a dozen times already and I loved making it so much that since October, I've gone full on into making my own clothes with another ruby tunic, 2 wiksten dresses, a meridian cardi, and a pair of leggings, but I'll save that for another post.
 
   Here's a little slide show of some of my favorite 2013 finishes:

Created with flickr slideshow.


No comments:

Post a Comment